Heather - Maple Pass Loop
Sep 14, 2012
- Type of Outing
- Day hike
- Read More in our Hiking Guide
- Hike: Heather - Maple Pass Loop
- Region: North Cascades -- North Cascades Highway
- Agency: Okanogan National Forest - Methow Valley Ranger District
- Trails: Maple Pass (#740)
- Avg Rating: 4.27
- Why You Should Go Now
- Fall foliage
This trail can be snowy mid-September, but this year brought blue skies & warm temperatures. There were a number of hikers on the trail, but not so thick that a person couldn't have a lot of solitude. The autumn colors are putting in an appearance, and I can only guess that a couple weeks from now the colors will be even better. The views were a little hazy due to smoke in the air from Eastern Washington wildfires, but really did not detract from the views.
I've hiked this trail both directions now, and I find I prefer hiking counter-clockwise, partly because of views, but also because I prefer the steepest rockiest portion of this trail to be on the descent rather than the ascent.