Tolmie Peak Lookout - Eunice Lake
Oct 06, 2012
- Type of Outing
- Day hike
- Read More in our Hiking Guide
- Hike: Tolmie Peak Lookout - Eunice Lake
- Region: Mt. Rainier -- NW - Carbon River / Mowich
- Agency: Mount Rainier National Park
- Trails: Tolmie Peak (#)
- Avg Rating: 3.95
- Why You Should Go Now
- Fall foliage
- the road in does have some washboard, but not nearly as bad as we expected. It is highly dusty, so plan to wash your ride after your trip.
- we arrived at noon at the trail head. Parking can be an issue here but not today. We parked relatively close to the trail head even though we were late arriving.
- trail is in great shape. Lots of roots to navigate, so you need to pay attention where you step.
- no bugs to speak of.
- fall colors just coming into season while the wildflowers are no longer in bloom.
- Mowich Lake is gorgeous.
- Eunice Lake is 1.9 miles from the trail head.
- add another 0.9 miles and you are at the fire lookout. The lookout was locked but the shutters were up so you could see inside. Great views of Mt. Rainier and points south, north and west. We enjoyed our lunch at the lookout facing Mt. Rainier.
- Ranger was on site and was looking for bears and mountain goats. None spotted.
- total hike time was 3.5 hours at a normal pace.
Very enjoyable on a perfect fall day.