We've collected instructional articles from back issues of Washington Trails magazine and from the website.
While it's a fairly random group of issues, there is quite a bit of informative and important information in these articles. Click on an interesting topic, and learn something new today.
How - To...
Hiking & Backpacking Related Articles on the Website
- Go Hiking - Hiking 101 covers choosing the right hike, selecting clothing and gear and proper trail etiquette.
- Go Backpacking - Backpacking 101 covers planning your trip, what to do on the trail and in camp and destinations.
- Hike with Dogs - An F.A.Q. on all things dog-related.
- Hike with Children - Check out our Families Go Hiking section for tips for hiking with kids, seasonal destinations and lots of other resources.
- Prepare for a Mount Rainier Backpacking Trip - Wonderland advice and a whole lot more here.
- The Daily Dozen - An exercise routine to work all your muscle groups.
Informative How-To Articles from Washington Trails Magazine
- Hike by Bus
- Cross a Glacier
- Leave No Trace
- Predict Mountain Weather
- Prevent Blisters
- Ford a River
- Be Prepared While Hiking
- Avoid, Recognize and Treat Hypothermia
- Hike With Poles
- Tell Spell-binding Tales
- Make Delicious Backpacking Food
- Brew Delicious Coffee in the Backcountry
- Navigate Using a Map, Compass, and Altimeter
- Stay Safe in a Storm
- Build a Quinzee
- Explore the Winter Sky
- Prepare for Hiking Season
- Deodorize Boots, Insoles and Boot Liners
- Fix a Zipper, Restore Worn Heels, Patch Holes and Tears