2022 Northwest Exposure
Washington Trails Association’s annual Northwest Exposure Photo Contest gives photographers the chance to highlight the people and sights found on Washington's trails. Winners will be featured in our annual calendar and online. will be awarded for first, second and third place in five different categories and a grand prize.
An official entry form must be completed for each photograph submitted. Photographers may submit one photo in each category for a TOTAL OF FIVE PHOTOS ONLY per photographer. The photo submission form will become available on August 17 when the contest opens.
All photos must be taken in Washington state and comply with Leave No Trace. This also includes having dogs leashed if they are visible in the image.
Photographers may submit only one photo in each of these five categories:
- Trailscapes: Winding trails and the incredible landscapes they take you through.
- Hikers in Action: In camp or on trail, capture the experience of people enjoying the outdoors. Photographer must have permission for photo to be published from any person whose face is shown in the photo.
- Flora and Fauna: Woods, wildflowers and all things four-legged and furry! Share your best photos of Washington's native plants or animals found while out on trail—from pikas to bears, from trilliums to lupine. Images of captive animals photographed in game farms or roadside zoos will be disqualified. Please give wildlife plenty of space.
- Trail Family: Show us the faces of the people you love to hike with. Photographer must have permission for photo to be published from any person whose face is shown in the photo.
- Instagram: Show us how you hike by following @washingtontrails and using the tag #nwexposure2022. See special Instagram rules below.
The contest is open to all photographers, except for Washington Trails Association employees, contest judges and their families. WTA reserves the right to verify, in its sole judgment, entrant eligibility. Photographs must be taken in Washington. Photographs will be judged on originality, technical excellence, composition, overall impact and artistic merit. Awards will be selected by a panel of judges, and all decisions are final. A selection of the Flora and Fauna photos submissions will placed online for public judging.
Entries must be submitted electronically via the submission form when it becomes available on August 18:
- Submit digital photos in JPEG format only. Higher resolution photos are encouraged.
- All entries are due no later than 11:59pm on October 17, 2022.
- Judges may exclude entries that do not meet the above criteria. Because of the high number of entries, please do not provide individual feedback about submissions.
- Winners will be notified by email. WTA is not responsible for lost or damaged prizes.
Instagram Category rules
The Instagram category is judged the same as other categories, though entrants are allowed to enter as many photos as they would like in this category. This is an open category for all hiking related photos. We ask that entries follow the same guidelines as other categories in that photos follow Leave No Trace principles and are taken from a trail or in camp. To enter, follow @washingtontrails and tag your hiking photos with #nwexposure2022 between August 17, 2022 and October 17, 2022.
All entrants agree to allow Washington Trails Association to publish any submitted photograph in its magazine, website or other materials to help support WTA's mission to promote and protect Washington’s trails and wildlands.
Photos entered are bound under a non-exclusive license, which means you still retain ownership of your image and can use it how you would like. WTA will never sell your image, but your photos may be used in our promotional materials to help us with our work. WTA credits photographers for all image usage on our website and printed materials.
Photographers must have permission for photos to be published of any person whose face is shown and recognizable in their photos. Photographs submitted must be taken by the photographer entering the photo.