Northwest Exposure Photo Contest
2023 Contest Information
The 2023 Northwest Exposure Photo Contest will open on August 17. Check back then to enter!
Northwest Exposure is WTA's annual photo contest that celebrates outdoor photography and the community of hikers that explore Washington's trails. The 2023 contest will run from August 17 to October 17 and features four main categories and two bonus categories. Winners in each category will receive incredible prizes from our sponsors and will also be featured online and in our annual calendar.
Main Contest Categories
Northwest Exposure features four main categories with prizes awarded for the top 3 photos in each category. A grand prize will also be awarded for the best overall photo. The 2023 main categories are:
- Trailscapes: Winding trails and the incredible landscapes they take you through. Photos from your local park or green space are encouraged!
- Hikers in Action: In camp or on trail, capture the experience of people enjoying the outdoors.
- Trail Family: Show us the faces of the people you love to hike with.
- Flora and Fauna: Woods, wildflowers and all things four-legged and furry.
Northwest Exposure features two bonus categories with one prize awarded in each for the best photo. The 2023 bonus categories are:
- Instagram: Show us how you hike by following @washingtontrails and using the tag #nwexposure2023. Photos must be uploaded to Instagram and tagged between August 17, 2023 and October 17, 2023 to be eligible to win prizes. One winner will be selected from this category.
- East of the Cascades: Show us where you hike on the east side of the Cascade Mountains! This category accepts photos of landscapes with our without hikers present, though the landscape should be the prominent feature. Photos must be taken on the east side of the Cascade Mountains only, not within the range itself. One winner will be selected from this category.
For more info check out the contest rules, FAQ, and prizes.
Looking for tips on capturing a winning shot? Check out this advice from photo contest judges.
You can also take a look at last year's winners here!