Make the Most of REI's Dividend While Helping Trails
For REI co-op members, it's dividend season. Did you know that by shopping with your dividend on REI.com using this link you can help trails? When you do, WTA earns a percentage of your total purchase that we'll put to great use in our trail programs, from maintaining wilderness trails to saving state lands from closing.
If you are an REI co-op member, that means you'll be getting your REI dividend in the mail quite soon, if you haven't already.
Did you know that by shopping with your dividend on REI.com using this link you can help trails? When you do, WTA earns a percentage of your total purchase that we'll put to great use in our trail programs, from maintaining wilderness trails to saving state lands from closing. (This link works all year long, and not just for members or when you use your dividend.)
Thanks so much for your support of WTA and hiking trails!
Sale + dividend = a good time to buy big-ticket items
From trail work to hiking, WTA's staff puts a lot of wear and tear on our outdoor gear, so we think a lot about the best way to replace key items in our gear closets.
Tip: spend your dividend by April 7, and you can get a huge discount off of one full-priced item (the coupon code will come with your mailed dividend.) This is a terrific way to get a discount on a big-ticket purchase you might have been eyeing.
And if you know a new hiker who is just getting started, consider handing down your old gear to them. Share your gear, share the trail.
Editor's gear picksWashington Trails magazine editor, Eli Boschetto offered these three items as REI gear picks for spring sale.
The REI Half Dome Tent is a classic that just keeps getting better every year. With two doors, stash pockets, air vents, large vestibules and ample leg- and headroom, the Half Dome is a portable backcountry (or front country) comfort cabin, ready to go anywhere you are. DAC Featherlite poles and welded construction help keep the weight down, and the price makes this award-winning tent a no-brainer. $189
- Jacket pick: Mountain Hardwear's Plasmic Jacket
- Pack pick: Osprey's Viva 50 Women's Pack
Staff shopping list: lightening our load, replacing beat up boots
What's on the shopping lists of WTA staff? Boots, fuel for trail runs and backpacking equipment are big on our lists this year. What's on yours?
Gear for trail work
- Arlen Bogaards, Northwest Regional Manager: "I'm going to spend my dividend on a new pair of boots! Trailwork and using your boot as a trail leveler/ grubbing tool sure is hard on them."
Trail running fuel
- Julie Cassata, Volunteer Coordinator (and avid trail runner): "I've already spent a portion of my dividend on Honey Stingers waffles and gel packets. They are delicious, quick energy when I'm moving quickly on trail."
- Susan Elderkin, Communications Director and Outreach Director (not to mention a pretty good family Trip Reporter): "A new family backpacking tent."
- Kindra Ramos, Engagement Manager: A water purifier and a backpacking stove.
- Loren Drummond, Digital Content Manager: "I'm combining a gift certificate with my dividend to get a new pack, since my current one dates back to the late 90's and weighs a ton. I've also got a goal to spend 36 nights under the stars this year, so I think it's worth the investment."
- Michael Stubblefield, Trail Programs Director: "I'm buying the Snow Peak Mini Solo Titanium Cookset. At a mere 5.5 ozs, it will lighten my pack load a bit and take considerably less room in my backpack."
What's on your list?
Tell us what gear you need to refresh this spring in the comments below. And don't forget to do any shopping with your dividend on REI.com using this link to help support trails.