With the help of some incredibly generous volunteers, WTA's free app — Trailblazer — is available on iPhones and Android devices. With it, you can explore thousands of Washington's trails and the latest trip reports from your fellow hikers without being tethered to your computer.
Why did we create the app?
We wanted to help Washington's hikers find the trail they needed, whether that's a kid-friendly creekside ramble, a challenging summit push, or the closest paved path to a park near their house.
By putting the Hiking Guide and trip reports right in your pocket, we're making it easier for you to get familiar with all the types of trails Washington has to offer, and to stay inspired to keep exploring.
Features of the Trailblazer app
- Search for trails by location using our Region and subregion filters
- User our new filter to find wheelchair-friendly hikes.
- Filter trip reports by road and trail conditions as well as seasonal considerations like ripe berries and fall foliage.
- File your own trip reports with images (a new image rotator in the Android app resolves a pre-existing issue we had with photos uploading sideways)
- Quick, offline access to information about the hikes you've saved in My Backpack including:
- Driving directions to the trailhead
- Detailed descriptions of each hike
- The 5 most recent trip reports for each hike
- Current trailhead weather and forecasts found in each hiking guide entry (links point to NOAA's website)
- Check conditions on the trail you want to hike with the latest trip reports from fellow hikers.
- View trail photos uploaded by fellow hikers.
We're continuing to refine and improve the app, stay tuned!
Of course, we want to hear what you think, too. Please rate or review the app. And, if there are other things that you think might improve the experience of WTA Trailblazer, we want to hear about it.