Photo Contest Rules
2012 Northwest Exposure
Washington’s wilderness landscapes are extremely photogenic. Here’s your chance to show off your fantastic photos of hiking locations in Washington—and help WTA protect them.
Washington Trails Association’s 10th Annual Northwest Exposure Photo Contest focuses attention on the beauty found while out on Washington’s trails. Prizes will be awarded for first, second and third place in five different categories and a grand prize winner will appear on the cover of the January/February 2013 issue of Washington Trails.
An official entry form must be completed for each photograph submitted for a TOTAL OF FIVE PHOTOS ONLY per photographer.
Photographers may submit only one photo in each of five categories:
- Trailscapes - Photos must be taken in Washington and should highlight a landscape with a trail in the composition.
- Hikers in Action - Showcase hikers doing their thing - hiking. Compose a shot that features smiling hikers coming down the trail. Or capture a well-placed hiker in a photo can demonstrate scale in nature.
- Flora and Fauna - Share your best photos of Washington's native plants or animals found while out on trail—from pikas to bears, from trilliums to lupine. Images of captive animals photographed in game farms or roadside zoos will be disqualified.
- Families on Trail - Capture generations (young and old) sharing the joy of hiking and camping.
- Offbeat Outdoors - Send us your crazy, weird, or humorous photos taken on the trails of Washington state. This category will be judged in part by public voting online.
The same photo cannot be entered in more than one category. Judges reserve the right to switch images to other categories.
All entries are due no later than 11:59pm on Sunday, October 14, 2012.
The contest is open to all photographers, except for Washington Trails Association employees, contest judges and their families. WTA reserves the right to verify, in its sole judgment, entrant eligibility. Photographs must be taken in Washington. Entrants agree to allow Washington Trails Association to publish any submitted photograph in its magazine, website or other materials to help promote and protect Washington’s trails and wildlands.
Photographs will be judged on originality, technical excellence, composition, overall impact and artistic merit. Awards will be selected by a panel of judges, and all decisions are final. A selection of the Offbeat photos submissions will placed online for public judging.
Entries must be submitted electronically:
- submit digital photo in JPEG format.
Higher resolution photos are at an advantage—optimal resolution is 300 dpi. Cover shots are best if, photo can be reproduced with a width of 9 by 11 inches, or approximately 2700 x 3300 pixels. Digital files should be submitted on online.
Judges may exclude entries that do not meet the above criteria. Because of the high number of entries, do not provide individual feedback about submissions.
Please practice Leave No Trace ethics when you are in the backcountry.
Thanks to our 2012 Northwest Exposure sponsors!