Volunteering as a group is a fun and rewarding way to give back to trails. No experience is needed, but there are a few things to know before you get started.
How we work with groups
For groups of 2-6 people: You can go ahead and self-register for a work party. Please proceed to our trail work schedule to browse upcoming work parties in the next 4-6 weeks. During the registration process, you will be given the option to add up to five additional people to your group.
For groups of 7-20 people: We are slowly ramping up our group work party opportunities. We are limited in the number of groups we can accommodate in 2022, but if you are interested in scheduling a group work party, contact email@example.com for current availability.
- We need at least two months advance notice to consider your request. Work parties with less than 15 people may remain open to the public to fill additional spots on the crew.
- Due to demand, current corporate and community partners receive priority for scheduling.
- Though we typically are unable to accommodate groups larger than 20, we may consider offering multiple work parties to your group.
We offer work parties Tuesday through Sunday throughout the year in the Puget Sound region; scheduling varies in other regions due to weather and other factors. Our typical work party starts at 8:30 a.m. and ends by 3:30 p.m. This does not include your group’s travel time to and from the work party location. In some cases, we can accommodate later start times and earlier end times for private group work parties.
When you reach out to WTA to begin setting up your work party, we will communicate with you to determine which of our pre-scheduled work parties will work best for your group. While we can usually accommodate your general area of interest, we cannot guarantee work parties at specific trails.
What It Takes
We want everyone in your group to have a great day outside. Not sure if your group is going to enjoy a day of digging in the dirt? Here’s a handy checklist to help determine whether everyone in your group is ready to volunteer:
- No experience is necessary—just bring a great attitude for working with a team! WTA provides the training and tools you need.
- Expect to be physically active at your own pace for up to 6 hours on uneven terrain.
- If your group includes youth under 18, please learn more about youth group work parties.
What to wear
- Long pants
- Work gloves
- Long-sleeved shirt recommended
- Eye protection recommended (glasses, sunglasses or safety glasses)
- A hard hat will be provided by WTA
what to bring
- Lunch and plenty of water
- Rain jacket and pants
- Extra warm clothing in case of wet or cold weather
- A pack to carry personal gear
- A sense of fun and adventure for learning new skills and meeting great people!
How to Set Up Your Group Work Party
- Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to express interest and to find out about our availability.
- If we are able to accommodate your group, we will work with you on work party details. After your work party is confirmed, WTA will create an agenda for your group's day on trail and forward you a link to a special group page for you to register the individual members of your group.
- We require that you provide the names and email addresses for everyone in your group. This ensures that everyone receives important safety information regarding the work party.
Thank you for your interest in volunteering with WTA. We look forward to hearing from you!