Recipe by Sarah Kirkconnel. www.trailcooking.com
About 2 servings
PREP TIME / COOK TIME
5 minutes / 20 minutes
- In a storage bag:
- 2/3 cup backing mix (e.g. Bisquick)
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp diced candied ginger
- 1/4 tsp dry ginger powder
- In a snack bag:
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp corn starch
- 1/4 tsp lime of lemon powder
- 1 cup fresh huckleberries (picked along the trail)
Add 1/4 cup cool water to the storage bag and knead gently until mixed. Seal and set aside.
Add 1 cup water to a pot and stir the contents of the snack bag until dissolved.
Add the berries and bring the pot to a boil. Lower the flame on your stove to as low as it will go and quickly add in the prepared backing mix by dropping spoonfuls on the hot berry mixture.
Cover the pot and simmer gently on low heat for 10 to 12 minutes or until the topping is done.